Friday, May 10, 2013

*****~~~~Vegan Lavender Ice Cream~~~~*****

One of my many great loves in this life is lavender! I'm propagating a dozen out back currently in the hopes of having a lavender field one day (even if it ends up being only a mini field :) I use lavender oils all over my face and body, diffuse it throughout our house, have a satchel under my pillow - I just can't get enough lavender! So you can imagine how happy I was upon finding this recipe a few years ago in the glorious Mothering magazine (which sadly, is out of print :(…...Well I finally got around to making it and EVERYONE loved it! It may be wishful thinking but I felt a bit calmer after eating the other day ;) If you happen to have an ice cream maker here you go....


Lavender Ice Cream

1 1/4 cups soymilk or almond milk
1/4 cup fresh lavender flowers and buds
(about 8 large sprigs)
14 oz full fat coconut milk (not light)
1/2 cup granulated sugar or agave

Pour soymilk into a small saucepan and warm on med-low heat until it just begins to boil. Stir in lavender flowers and buds. Cover and remove from heat. Steep for about 20 min.

Place fine mesh strainer over medium bowl. Pour soymilk through stainer to remove lavender. Whisk in coconut milk and sweetener. Cover and chill in refrigerator at least 3 hrs then freeze in ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions.