Saturday, May 4, 2013

Vegan Rhubarb Strawberry Pie

poor little crust ;) 
fresh is best!
This pie is so easy and very good. I picked up the rhubarb at the farmers market this morning! The crust didn't end up looking so pretty because I was being called for a nursing but it tasted good so that's all that matters. I almost fell over when I actually got a "Mommy, this is so very delicious and thank you so much for making it for me!" from the four year old who is known (so far) for not having the best of manners ;) I had made when we lived in Austin but he doesn't remember. The little five month old was staring especially wide-eyed at all of us in the hopes (I think) that we would share (poor little baby, she's so ready to eat!)
You can whip this pie up in minutes; enjoy!

rhubarb pie!

Filling:
2 C. rhubarb (chopped into bite size pieces)
1 C. fresh strawberries, sliced thin
3 Tbsp. water (if using frozen rhubarb omit)
1/4 C. sugar (I replaced with maple syrup)
Combine all ingredients above on stovetop under med heat until rhubarb becomes tender. Then add:
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. Flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Mixed three ingredients together, then into rhubarb mixture and then add into pie crust (see pie crust recipe below). Then add top pie crust.


Super-Easy Pie crust:
(I had a frozen pie crust so I just made one for the top. If you don't have a frozen one just double this up and split into two making one for the bottom and one for the top).
1/4 C. safflower oil
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 C. unbleached flour
2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
Combine all ingredients slowly. For bottom: press into pie plate. For top: roll onto floured surface into about the size of the diameter of the pie plate. Place on top.