Thursday, June 10, 2010

~Vegan Fig Spice Cake~

One of the first things I learned when I decided to give up all animal products was how loaded figs were in calcium, so I added a good amount of these freaky looking little fruits to my diet (esp. when pregnant). You can soak them and put in smoothies (really good), make jam, even put on salads. So like kale, I kinda fell in love with figs (don't get me started on dates!). This really is more like a bread but I guess if you put the sugar on top (I didn't) it would be more like the cake it's supposed to be. Enjoy~




Fig Spice Cake


Remove stems from figs, cut up, and soak for 1 hour:
1 cup cut-up figs
1 cup hot water

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9" x 9" pan.

Measure into bowl:
1/4 cup canola (or vegetable) oil
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup water from soaking figs

Add to the wet ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Finally, add the remaining water and (soaking) figs and stir.

Pour into the pan and bake 45-50 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Cool. Cut into nine squares. Dust with at sprinkle of confectioners sugar if desired.