Thursday, April 4, 2013

Almond Milk

I don't know why it's taken me so long to figure out I could make my own almond milk that is worlds better than store bought! I never liked having to choose between organic almond milk that has sugar in it or non-organic that has no sugar. I found the happy medium - organic sweetened with dates! BEST MILK I'VE EVER HAD!

In the youtube link below, Mimi Kirk gives a step by step at the beginning of her video on how easy it is to make almond milk. You can also watch the entire video to learn how to make a pretty decadent chocolate milk shake! Per Mimi's suggestion I picked up a few paint strainer bags (for the straining of the milk) for a few bucks at the hardware store. I'll never go back to store bought! :)) Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEUxszYx5k
Ingredients:

1 cup raw almonds
water for soaking nuts
3 or 4 cups water (depending on how 'thick' you like your milk. You could make your own cream as well using much less water)
2 dates (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
Preparation:

Soak the almonds in water overnight or for at least 6 hours.
Drain the water from the almonds and discard. Blend the 3 cups of water, almonds and dates until well blended and almost smooth.
Strain the blended almond mixture using a cheesecloth or other strainer.

Homemade raw almond milk will keep well in the refrigerator for three or four days.