Sunday, August 5, 2012

Savory Tofu Sauce

I was introduced to this sauce when I worked at "The Spot" in Hermosa Beach when I was in my early 20's. It is one of the best I've ever tasted at you can put it on top of everything (burritos, tacos, potatoes, veggies/rice and beans). Of course it's even better at the restaurant because they do something magical to it that I just don't know about. Enjoy~

Savory Sauce from "The Spot"

3/4 c. Almond or Safflower oil
3/4 c. water (I usually add a little more
1/4 c. Braggs Liquid Aminos
1/8 c. brewers yeast flakes
1/4 tsp. kelp powder
1/4 tsp spike seasoning
1/4 tsp basil
1/8 tsp. granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. Tamari
1 pkg. firm tofu, rinsed well (16 oz.)

* I often don't have the kelp powder or the Spike and it still turns out great. The cookbook was written a while back so I don't think the normal size for tofu is 16 oz anymore so I just adjust it by adding a little less of everything else.