Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits

I got help this morning from my two dudes trying out a vegan biscuit recipe i found online, that turned out really good. This little boy of ours is at home in the kitch and loves being in charge, telling us what to do. I should give birth to this baby in my belly in the kitchen (just like my last) and see if they won't be the next vegan chefs to take over the world....we could use a few more;) this recipe took minutes; it's super easy. Of course monkey see, monkey do and all the "craving" talk i've been doing these last few months he's now saying, "I crave__________" and while mixing and rolling he says, "Oh man, I'm craving these biscuits!" Least it's a good craving.....Enjoy~ "Buttermilk" Biscuits

2 cups self-rising flour (sifted) (I subbed 2 cups all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt)
¼ cup shortening (I used spectrum vegan shortening and it worked great)
¾ cup "buttermilk" (soymilk + vinegar)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place sifted flour into bowl, add shortening and use pastry blender or fork to cut shortening into small particles.
Add "buttermilk" a little at a time until a medium-soft dough is formed. (More may be needed if dough is too hard.)
Turn out onto floured surface, and dust with more flour. Pat with hands to form ball. For flat biscuits, roll out and cut. For tall biscuits, fold dough in half and pat down about 3 or 4 times then roll out and cut. Place in pan with edges touching.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 – 13 minutes (depending on oven mine took 18 min.and I flipped them after 13) or until golden brown.