Tuesday, November 22, 2011

~~~Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies~~~

"This cookie was made for the sole purpose of proving that vegan cookies are just as good as non-vegan ones!" -Isa Chandra Moskowitz (author of cookbook "Vegan with a Vengeance" where I got this recipe)


These are good but don't freeze and thaw out later; not so good.



[WARNING: I'd recommend, if interested, getting this cookbook from the library (like I did) because some of the recipes are no bueno. I made the p.b. cookies that I followed to the t and they turned out horrendous! (wouldn't even mold), so I blame the recipe and I was pretty pissed (you know how expensive organic ingredients are!). So better to google what you want to make beforehand (a TON of people were also unhappy w/ that bunk p.b. recipe) so don't waste your time and money like I did.]

Guess what little three year old had a fit, wanting "MOOOOORE!!" (it was like witnessing a crack withdrawal) after stuffing his face with one and then wanting a second. Lots of throwing his body around and flailing (so I know they're good;).....

Preheat oven to 350°F.

1 c. non-hydrogenated margarine, at room temperature (earth balance sticks are the best)
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. molasses (blackstrap)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all- purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Cream together the margarine and sugar until fluffy.

Add the molasses and vanilla.

Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix well.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls spaced a little over 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until ever so slightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack